High quality?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:42:03 EST

swiftspiano@hotmail.com writes:

> OK.  What I have is a Baldwin Hamilton 5'2" that was built in the 20s.  It
> belongs to a customer/friend of mine.  Her father bought it shortly after
> entering the ministry so the piano holds a lot of memories for her.
>
> The bridge needs to be recapped so, replacing the strings is a requirement.
>
> The case is in excellent condition as it was refinished by someone about 20
>
> years ago.  The hammers are badly worn and need to be replaced.  Some are
> down to the wood.

This sheds some new light on the subject. Thanks for clearing up some
details.

This is a piano that's going to be around for another generation. Although
the Hamiltons weren't the top of the line, they are still respectable.

I would put on Mapes bass strings, and get Renner hammers, shanks and
flanges. If you do the work right, your friend will get many years of
enjoyment from the piano.

Wim.