mason & hamlin est.

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:36:55 EST

In a message dated 1/25/03 11:09:03 PM !!!First Boot!!!, A440A@aol.com
writes:

> << mason &Hamlin grand, circa 1907  .  It's about 6' and has new bass
> strings and  pins, however the plain wire have the dreaded "gold" paint
> left
> behind from a do-it-yourself painted plate. Case could use a refinishing
> and
> the soundboard needs some shimming. Action is in decent shape having had
> some extensive (professional) repairs done in the past ten years.  >>
>
> That soundboard is more than likely dead.  90 year old boards that still
> perform well are rare.   Figure on $7,500 for the belly work.  If the
> action
> is in good shape, then the refinishing,(maybe $5,000) would put the
> investment required for a quality piano at $13,000 (remember cartage).
>   The piano should bring around $25,000-$30,000, so I would guess about
> $4,500 would be the most a tech would want to spend to buy the hulk.   All
> figures are general.
>
> Ed Foote RPT

Ed, Terry

Terry, measure the thing. There is no 6' M&H. It's either 5'8" (A), or 6'4"
(BB).

If it's an A, it won't bring any where near $25,000, especially with an
original action. More like $15,000, and that is if the action had been
rebuilt. That makes the whole sale value, as is, a lot less. More like $1500
- $2000.

Now, if this was a BB, the figures Ed quoted would be more in line.

Wim