freebies

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 13:07:51 -0600

>Call me crazy, but I think it's possible to get a stable tuning without
>banging the heck out of each note.

I didn't say it wasn't. In fact, I didn't say anything at all about
pounding anything.

>Yes this freebie is welcome... the fewer notes I move, the more stable I
>would think the tuning to be.
>
>Regards,
>
>Jonathan Finger RPT.

I disagree. I've seen too many on-pitch freebies that take a test blow
well, but when a tuning hammer is put on them, they change at the slightest
touch and stay there. That's where they are stable. I sure can't tell the
relative section tensions of a string without moving something, and I don't
see how anyone else can either. Especially after having just done a quick
pitch correction over the entire piano, which is what my post is about.

Ron N