capo improvement suggestions: front duplex vibration

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 12:46:31 -0600

>Interesting. I wonder anyway, by which mechanism the front
>duplex section of the string is supposed to vibrate.

It's simple leverage. The string, being a piece of wire, is stiff. As the
speaking length flexes through it's vibrational excursion, it levers the
duplex in the opposite direction on the fulcrum, which is the V bar. It
works the other way too. Pluck a front duplex and the speaking length will
sound at it's fundamental pitch (rather than the pitch of the duplex).

Ron N