Tuning problems

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 13:27:48 EST

Antares writes:

<< I personally favor the one where we 'set' the pin by really putting it
in a new position in the pin block as it gives me the assurance that
the pin, as the anchor of the string, is my major certainty.<<

    I didn't mean to say that I try to tune without pin movement.  I tried to
describe how the pin is manipulated as I move it downward.  On a very loose
block, I often will lower the string to pitch, then move the pin back
sharpwards (without moving the string's pitch),  just a little to anchor the
top string.

For the evening out of the string parts I use the old fashioned right
hand banging. >>

    I used to, but cartilage damage forced me to find a way of more finesse,
less stress!  I'm tuning better now than I ever did, but pounding less than
ever.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/