Tuning problems: capo improvement suggestions

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:44:59 -0500

Ah!
I think the brass is so soft that it shapes itself to accomodate the
string deflection under. This is why you will never (of course one
should never say never) have front duplex noise on old Chickerings
that had this feature. The contact surface is much larger under the
half agraffe than under the capo bar. Some will say it is better to
have a smaller area of contact to improve clarity, but I still wonder.
I really like the attack and decay relationship in these early
Chickering that had the half agraffe.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC