Tuning problems

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 16:47:23 +0100

On zaterdag, jan 25, 2003, at 16:14 Europe/Amsterdam, A440A@aol.com
wrote:

>   I must repectfully disagree.  I find the Steinway pianos to very
> easy to
> tune.  Also, while bending a pin is what I consider damaging, flexing
> or
> leaning on the pins is a very valuable technique for getting a very
> stable
> tuning. In tuning, the pin is going to twist between the hammer and
> block
> while being turned, the tuner must learn to compensate for this twist
> in the
> placement of tension in the top string.  The same goes for flexing the
> pin,
> it is just another distortion that the tuners wrist must learn to read.
>    In bringing a string sharp, we must assume that the top string's
> tension
> exceeds that of the speaking length by the amount of friction at the
> agraffe
> or capo bar.  Then,  relaxing the grip on the hammer, the pin's twist
> resolves, thereby lowering the top string tension.  On a very tight
> block,
> this untwisting may be great enough to allow the string to drop, while
> on a
> very loose block, the amount of twist may be so slight that the top
> string
> and speaking length will equalize.  A slight "flatward" push on the
> pin will
> then usually tell the tuner how much difference there is between the
> tensions.
>    There is a zone of stability available to the tuner where the top
> string
> tension is slightly, or greatly above the speaking length, while the
> friction
> of the agraffe is sufficient to keep the speaking length stable,.  On a
> Steinway, with pins in the 100 in/lb range, it is usually very easy to
> move
> flatward until the pitch is exactly where I want it, then by relaxing
> the
> hammer, the combination of twist and flex restores the additional
> topstring
> tension to a secure level.
>     Since I tune more than a few of my pianos perhaps 100 times a
> year, I am
> very keen on not damaging pinblocks or pins, and using the slight
> amount of
> flex greatly eases the process of fine tuning.  I am not talking about
> bending a pin so that it is not straight!
>
> Regards,
> Ed Foote RPT
> www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/
> www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html_

Hi master Foot,

I understand and respect your method and so we all find our ways to
make sure that our tunings will remain stable.
At the same time there are several 'schools' of tuning technique.
I personally favor the one where we 'set' the pin by really putting it
in a new position in the pin block as it gives me the assurance that
the pin, as the anchor of the string, is my major certainty.
For the evening out of the string parts I use the old fashioned right
hand banging.
So I tune it too high and bang it down.
Let that pianist try to embarrass me!

I also like the Yamaha tuning technique but that is another story.

friendly greetings from

Antares,
The netherlands

Where Music is no harm can be.......