Tuning problems

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:14:34 EST

Antares writes:
<< Steinways are the most difficult of 'em all because of the fact that
the tuning pins have no tuning pin dowels. This means that the tuning
pins have more torque and are easier to 'bend'.
Bending, or leaning on tuning pins is forbidden so we really have to
move the pin while tuning. >>

  I must repectfully disagree.  I find the Steinway pianos to very easy to
tune.  Also, while bending a pin is what I consider damaging, flexing or
leaning on the pins is a very valuable technique for getting a very stable
tuning. In tuning, the pin is going to twist between the hammer and block
while being turned, the tuner must learn to compensate for this twist in the
placement of tension in the top string.  The same goes for flexing the pin,
it is just another distortion that the tuners wrist must learn to read.
   In bringing a string sharp, we must assume that the top string's tension
exceeds that of the speaking length by the amount of friction at the agraffe
or capo bar.  Then,  relaxing the grip on the hammer, the pin's twist
resolves, thereby lowering the top string tension.  On a very tight block,
this untwisting may be great enough to allow the string to drop, while on a
very loose block, the amount of twist may be so slight that the top string
and speaking length will equalize.  A slight "flatward" push on the pin will
then usually tell the tuner how much difference there is between the
tensions.
   There is a zone of stability available to the tuner where the top string
tension is slightly, or greatly above the speaking length, while the friction
of the agraffe is sufficient to keep the speaking length stable,.  On a
Steinway, with pins in the 100 in/lb range, it is usually very easy to move
flatward until the pitch is exactly where I want it, then by relaxing the
hammer, the combination of twist and flex restores the additional topstring
tension to a secure level.
    Since I tune more than a few of my pianos perhaps 100 times a year, I am
very keen on not damaging pinblocks or pins, and using the slight amount of
flex greatly eases the process of fine tuning.  I am not talking about
bending a pin so that it is not straight!

Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/