Yamaha/Water Damaged

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:05:33 -0700

I assume you mean a swamp cooler, and not AC (AC would dry the air I
think).

Anyway, I agree with what Thump said, but really I don't know that there
is a time period that is "safe".  The reality is that the piano having
gone through this might have damage that wouldn't be seen for some
years.  What happens if the piano moves to a dryer environment in 10
years, and experiences winters with RH levels below 10%?

Just my thoughts,

Jonathan Finger RPT.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of gordon stelter
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 8:43 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Yamaha/Water Damaged

Check the statute of limitations on filing a claim in
your state, then, I would guess, put the piano in a
42% humidity room for about a month and a half, check
for damage. Take the humnidity down to 25% to a couple
of days to replicate a really cold day (like now) and
check for separation at the post ends and soundboard
cracks.
     I wouldn't expect  veneer to come loose on a
modern piano (no horse glue) but loose pins could be
big problem, expansion of panels, etc..
     Thump