Half Topical-- File sharing

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:47:04 -0700

Another great P2P program is Kazaa.  Kazaa and Morpheus have been the
two most popular so far (since Napster).  They were both based on the
same technology, but Morpheus recently changed to a "Gnutella" based
infrastructure which was a huge mistake.  Anyway, without getting into
the boring stuff, Kazaa works uniquely in that it allows you to download
things from multiple users, increasing your download speed, without
taxing their upload speed (so even dialup users can contribute to the
network).  Basically the Kazaa network digitally marks files.  This
means that if I search for "PTG.txt" and 100 other people have the exact
same file, I can download a small piece from each of them.  If each of
the 100 people is uploading a chunk of it to me @ 1k, then I receive it
at 100k/s.

Hope that didn't bore anyone to death :)

Anyway, Winmx is great, Kazaa (in my opinion) is a bit better.  I have
used both though, and either one would be well suited to your purposes.
The one advantage I would give Kazaa is that it's a bigger network.
Depending on the type of file you're looking for, a bigger network means
better results.

Anyway,

Good luck!

Jonathan Finger RPT.