Cracked Soundboard - Liability?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:15:11 -0500

IMHO, proper RH for a piano is imperative. Anyone working on pianos professionally, should know that. I think one could argue that shop conditions of 24% RH are nearly abusive as leaving the piano on a covered back porch while raining. I'm not sure one would win that argument, but I think it can be made. I think anyone that has someone else's piano in their shop had better keep the RH within 5% or so of 42% RH.

$7,500? WOW. I need to up my fees! What neck of the woods are you in?

It sure is a tough call. The shop if far less than ideal for a piano. I think he owes you something for the damage done. Does he owe you a new soundboard? If you gave him the piano with the plate out, I think he owes you a new board. If the piano was strung when you gave it to him, maybe just a cash settlement? It is definitely a tough situation.

Let us know how this shakes out.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Woodward" <chrisw112@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 11:05 AM
Subject: Cracked Soundboard - Liability?

I am hoping the list can help me deal with a situation that I have unfortunately found myself in. I had a S&S B delivered to a local refinisher late last August. It was shipped from Indiana after having been inspected by myself, the seller, as well as an independent. It had no visible cracks. A crack has since appeared near the tail that runs about twenty inches along the center of approximately the third plank in, near the bass bridge. It is the only crack in what is an 18 y/o Chris Robinson soundboard. The shop it sits in registered 24% RH on a digital hygrometer a couple evenings ago.

While choosing a refinisher, I did notice that this one had no humidification equipment but thought, as our understanding was that the piano was to be finished in the fall, exposing it to the more severe part of the heating season wasn't going to happen. I since have accepted that it is going to be late, but am having difficulty concluding that I should accept back a piano, with a crack, that was delivered to the refinisher whole. My question is less about the acoustic impact and more with regard to resale. I don't know that I'll be keeping it if the action rework/voicing doesn't bring sufficient improvement. Now, any buyer/prospect is almost certain to make the soundboard's current state a financial issue.

The refinish is to cost $7,500 and I am asking what you folks think is fair. Thanks for your wisdom and input.

Sincerely,

Chris Woodward

Woodward@bondinvestor.com