Aural vs. electronic again

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:53:47 -0500

At 8:19 PM -0800 1/19/03, David Love wrote:
>I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.  If, after tuning the
>temperament octave with an ETD (A3 - A4 in the case of Verituner), I am
>progressing now down to G#3, I simply tune the note as indicated by the
>machine.  I then quickly hit the octave G#3-G#4 to be sure.  If I am tuning
>aurally, I will test with a third-sixth test or M3rd-M10, listen to the
>thirds progression, listen to the octave, tweak, listen again.  How could
>that be faster, unless misunderstand you?

I skip the octave tests unless there is a false beat or some similar
disturbance in the sound which confuses the sound of an octave beat
rate by itself. Using unison shimming, I make an adjustment in the
unison equivalent to the error I hear in the octave (and I'm not just
talking about "G#3-G#4", but the 4:2 or 6:3 there-inside). The octave
is cleaned up that way. Listening to the progression of intervals
does require unavoidable time.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"
     ...........Steve Martin