Aural vs. electronic again, was "Re: Another newbie question"

Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:19:21 -0800

Bill:

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.  If, after tuning the
temperament octave with an ETD (A3 - A4 in the case of Verituner), I am
progressing now down to G#3, I simply tune the note as indicated by the
machine.  I then quickly hit the octave G#3-G#4 to be sure.  If I am tuning
aurally, I will test with a third-sixth test or M3rd-M10, listen to the
thirds progression, listen to the octave, tweak, listen again.  How could
that be faster, unless misunderstand you?

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Ballard" <yardbird@vermontel.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 19, 2003 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: Aural vs. electronic again, was "Re: Another newbie question"

At 7:00 PM -0800 1/19/03, David Love wrote:
>The speed is in not having to listen all the checks.

Straight interval checks, ie. just listening for motion in the
interval in question, is faster. You're only listening to one
interval, not the series of two.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"If you think that Mick Jagger will still be doing the whole rock
star thing at age fifty, well, then, you are sorely, sorely mistaken."
     ...........Jimmy Fallon as the uber-road manager in "Almost Famous"