Aural vs. electronic again, was "Re: Another newbie question"

Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:00:36 -0800

The speed is in not having to listen all the checks.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Kline" <sckline@attbi.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 19, 2003 6:24 PM
Subject: Re: Aural vs. electronic again, was "Re: Another newbie question"

At 10:39 AM 1/19/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>If
>I'm going fast, I suppose I'm more of an electronic tuner.

Walking further through the minefield -- I hear this over
and over again. People say that they use a machine for the
speed. Of course, everyone will tell me to learn to use
one, and then I'll understand, but I don't see where this
speed is coming from.

If I'm roughing in a tuning, I put the hammer on the pin,
play the notes, and pull immediately, leaving it about where
I want, then taking the hammer on to the next tuning pin.
Now suppose I'm using the ETD. I have to look at the thing,
see which way the lights are going, change the direction,
and wait a second to see if they are more or less stopped.
Then take the hammer on to the next note. And maybe work
a switch?

This sounds like it takes longer than what I'm doing aurally.

I can see that if I got adept with the machine, it might save
me some time getting to a more accurate level for the second
pass. But then, apparently lots of people tune the unisons
by hand, anyway, and tweaking and stabilizing unisons is what
takes me the bulk of tuning time, anyway.

So where is the time saving?

Susan