bottom covers on Grands

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:13:25

Hi All,

I just finished tuning my most "unstable" Yamaha G2E (#2043455) piano. It
normally exhibits swings of up to 34 cents on some notes. Well not this
year! It has had a Damppchaser on it for some years and in the fall of 2001
I installed a bottom cover--waited 3 months and then tuned Jan. 14, 2002.
Pitch correction was between 2 and 34 cents. Today one year (Jan 13,2003)
later none of the notes in the temperament octave from F3 to F4 exceeded 2
cents flat {except for E4 which was 3 cents out}(measured by RCT) and the
worst note on the entire piano was a grand total of 4.1 cents flat.

I don't think I need any more "proof" that grand installations should
always include a bottom cover.

Does anyone else have positive feed back about working "under the cover"?
*Grin*

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/