Crack Problem ... And It's YOUR Piano

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 19:43:07 -0600

Well, it's sorta your piano, it belongs to the US Army so you are, =
indirectly, paying me to fix it ...=20

Older B. Hamilton studio. 3 long diagonal cracks that traverse the =
soundboard from edge to edge. 2 of the cracks are on either side of the =
bass bridge apron so it's as though only maybe 7 percent of the =
soundboard is directly connected to the bridge, except through the ribs.

Bass SOUNDS okay but I'm concerned about the structural integrity of =
bridge/soundboard/ribs in that area.

They will pay to repair the bridge (eyelash cracks) but I doubt they'd =
want to do the whole soundboard-shim thing.

Anyone with more experience, appreciate your comments.

Thanks,

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

P.S. While working under the keybed to install a DC (different piano) my =
power screwdriver slipped and fell. Until you've done it, you have no =
idea how grumpy a self-inflicted punch in the mouth can make you. My =
motto now is: "Remember gravity and GET A GRIP"