SV: Nordheimer action

Kjell Sverre Fardal ksfardal@online.no
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:16:06 +0100

Hi Carl,

The ones I have seen were made in Baltikum (former Soviet Union). Typically
PSOs, if you ask me...

Kjell Sverre Fardal, NPTF
Kristiansand, Norway

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]På
vegne av Carl Teplitski
Sendt: 9. januar 2003 06:05
Til: pianotech@ptg.org
Emne: Nordheimer action

Third look at a Nordheimer piano , date of manu. 9142000. ? ?

Reluctant to post this, ..... but here goes.

Quite new when first saw it about a year ago, at least new to me.
Very badly out of tune. Something seems odd about the piano.
I'm guessing it left the factory without much quality control,
or enough tunings. Looks like a modern black plastic finish.
Since that first tuning, I've been back a couple of times. To retune,
and to do some action work.

I would do some adjusting of lost motion, let-off, and it would change
before
I had a chance to finish. Lubed capstans, flanges, damper springs with
marginal improvement.  Middle action bracket not installed , and seems
like most
of the inconsistencies appear around this area, particularly. Looks and
feels like
a new instrument, but am wondering if absence of the middle bracket
could be the cause of these problems?
Took action off and turned out the middle post about an 1/8 turn. ...
Big change.
Turned post back in some, ....  would guess the total adjustment
translates to
maybe 2 millimeters . This should eliminate any possibility of motion at
that post.  Hammer blow was approx. 2 inches. Set between 1 3/4 and 1
7/8 inches.
Did some more adjusting of lost motion and action seemed lighter to the
touch. Originally there were many bobbling hammers. Don't think anyone
else worked on it.
Does anybody have an opinion where this piano could have come form, and
why so many fundamental things wrong ? Told customer about my suspicion
re.centre post. He wondered if possible to obtain same. I didn't know.
Possible that after adjustments are made, it will stablize and be OK.
Didn't want to quizz customer as to where he got it.  ??????????????
Curious to hear opinions.

Carl / Winnipeg