tuning the treble aurally

Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:12:46 +0100

Steve Borgstrom wrote:

> another newbie question:
>
> I can set an equal temperament quite well for a beginner and have no
> trouble with the bass, tenor and low treble strings. But I have a
> horrible time in the last octave, not with tuning the center string,
> but with tuning the left and right strings to center. Such minute
> movements of the lever!! Sometimes I even have to "chip" the strings
> with a guitar pick I bring along to tell if I'm too high or too low.
> erk!!

Sounds like standard proceedure. Nothing to worry about.. you get better
with time, both in speed and accuracy, and with knowing when to say
enough is enough. The high treble often is screechy and not clear. You
can do somethings to help the situation, but you will have to put down
your tunning hammer to do so.

> I know it is a matter of practice, 'cause I can do it, but it takes a
> lot of time. Something that Ron Nossaman said really helped with my
> speed of tuning the rest of the piano, he reminded me not to "listen
> past the resolution of the particular piano".

A particularilly nice way of putting it as well.

> Thanks folks!

Just keep working at it, practice makes perfect they say. You can use
and ETD very constructively in helping train both your ear and hammer
technique with this kind of thing.

> Steve Borgstrom
> Brooklyn Park, MN
>
> _