Restored Baldwin out the door

Sat, 4 Jan 2003 23:01:28 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: January 04, 2003 7:24 PM
  Subject: Re: Restored Baldwin out the door

      ----- Original Message -----=20
      From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
      To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
      Sent: January 03, 2003 3:55 PM
      Subject: Restored Baldwin out the door

                    Interesting post Del as I believe this model is the =
Balwin C model you mention in the post at the bottom of this one. =
Shocked may have been the wrong choice of words describing the shallow =
rib depth but ribs 1 thru 4 were 24mm wide and 14,15.5,18,&18mm deep. =
compared to the Baldwin R model(same length 5ft. 8")
      18,21,22,24mm. Same width. I beefed up the bottom 7 ribs in depth.
        =20
          Baldwin R depth         BaldwinC depth
           rib depth                   original   Rib depth      new =
depth    rib length C
         1  18  mm                     14 mm                         =
17mm           23 inches                                                 =
        =20
         2  21                             15.5                          =
    18.5              31
         3  22                             18                            =
     22                 40
         4  24                             18                            =
     23                 46
         5  24                             18                            =
     25                 49
         6  24                             19.5                          =
    26                  42
         7 24                              19.5                          =
    24                  34
         8 19                              23                            =
     23                  27   =20
         9 19                              21                            =
     21                  22
        10 17                             19                             =
    19                  18
        11 16                             17.5                           =
   18                   15
        12  no rib                      15.5                             =
  16                   11
          As you can see the original depth of the last five ribs on the =
C were already stiffer than the Rs.
      The first 8 ribs were crowned to a 60 ft radius and the last four =
at a 2 by 50  and 2 forty ft.  It's a very good rib scale with excellent =
response. Board emc 6% at time of ribbing. >340 thick Sitka panel =
thinned at the edges except treble. Please use it if you wish.
               Regards Dale Erwin

If I'm not mistaken (and I might well be) the Model C was morphed into =
the Model L -- both approximately 6' 3" in length. I don't know what the =
predecessor to the Model R might have been.

As may be, interesting rib specifications. (Don't suppose you also have =
the width of these various ribs?) Again, if I'm not mistaken (and the =
chances of this are getting better and better as this discussion goes =
on) these early Baldwin grands had compression-crowned soundboards. It =
was impossible to tell from the specifications I had to work with and, =
needless to say, the bellymen who might have known were long gone. =
Putting together the various clues at my disposal at the time I came to =
the conclusion that the boards in the original were compression-crowned. =
Later the ribs were made some more substantial -- that is, taller -- =
when they started (at least quasi-) rib-crowning the things. I don't =
know when they started leaving the twelfth rib out....

Del