Rebuild: Estimates, Contracts etc.

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 10:06:06 EST

Noel

How you arrive at a figure is up to you. As Mike indicated, there have been
lots of articles written on how to do an estimate. If you want, I'll be happy
to send you a hard copy of what my estimate form looks like. But it is
written on a letter head, with the name of the customer, etc., name, model
and serial number of the piano at the top (including the year it was built).
Then I list the repairs to be done, the parts cost and the labor. I divide
the repairs into action overhaul, action regulation, damper system overhaul,
key work, pin block work, soundboard and plate work, stringing, and case
work. Kind of like this.

Work to be done
Action overhaul:                             parts              labor
replace hammers, shanks & flanges,  $2400           $850
action regulation                                          $1600
damper system overhaul                 $280             $340

You plug in your labor figure and parts. I generally charge double for the
parts. My labor rate is the same as tuning. I take about an hour to tune, so
when I do shop work, I want to get paid the same amount, per hour.

I get one half the estimated cost up front, with the balance due upon
delivery. Below is the "Terms and Conditions of repair work" of my
rebuilding. I've used and updated these terms over the 25 years I have been
in business. It used to be that you could do a deal with a hand shake. But
now a days, you better have every thing in writing, even with a good friend.

Good luck

Wim

Terms & Condition for repair work

1. PRICE:  The total price is an estimate only.  Charges for additional work
may occur. Before any additional work is done, your permission will be
obtained.
2. DEPOSIT:  A deposit of one half the total amount of the contract is
payable upon acceptance of this contract by you, unless other arrangements
have been made, agreeable to both of us.
3. INSPECTION: You will be notified when the work is completed.  You will be
required to inspect the finished piano at the my work shop, Room 187, Moody
Music Building, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa,  or at a location as
indicated by me.
4. BALANCE PAID:  Upon acceptance of the contracted work performed, you will
pay Willem Blees RPT the balance due. It is understood that the piano will
not leave my possession until the balance due is paid in full, or other
arrangements have been made, agreeable to both of us.
5. INTEREST & STORAGE:  In the event the balance due is not paid within 30
days after you have been notified that the work as per this contract is
completed, interest at 18% per year, prorated to the day, and a $5.00 per day
storage fee, will be added to the outstanding balance.
6. MOVING:  You will be responsible for drayage.  Upon request, I will make
arrangements for drayage, but will I will not be held responsible for any
liability to your property, or the piano, while it is in transit.
9. COMPLETION DATE:  Because delays such as weather, labor strikes, injuries,
etc. may occur which are beyond my control, the completion date should be
regarded as a target date only, and not as a definite date of completion. You
will be notified in the event of a delay of completion.
10. INSURANCE:  While the piano is in my possession, the piano is insured
against loss resulting from fire, vandalism, or other acts of nature. The
insurance will only pay for the actual value of the piano at the time of the
loss. To assure that the piano is covered for its full value, it is advised
that you check with your own insurance company. A written appraisal of the
piano in its pre-contract condition will be made available upon request. A
written appraisal of the completed piano will also be available upon request.
11. Definitions of terms: I, me, is Willem Blees RPT. You, yours is the
person responsible for making payments, and/or the owner of the piano. Our,
ours, is both Willem Blees and the owner and/or responsible party(ies).