[OT] Aural versus ETD tuning training

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 19:55:20 -0700

> I spend a fair amount of time educating my customers.  I don't
>mind, I think it helps my business in the long run.
>
>David Love

I absolutely agree, and have gotten great feedback from doing technical
seminars with  Q&A at piano teacher's chapter meetings.  A lot of serious
pianists are hungry for info, but feel ashamed to ask, because they think
WE think they "should" know this stuff.  So I get vulnerable and
revealing with them about my relative illiteracy regarding formal music
theory training, and it creates an atmosphere in which they can ask
anything, and no question is too basic or seen as "stupid."  It's great;
they are truly grateful for the education.

I always show clients what's wrong, or what maintenance needs to be done
(if I possibly can), rather than trying to just use words.  And, age and
experience has given me the gift of being able to play a piano for 2-3
minutes and then pretty exactly describe the experience, the "spielart,"
of the piano; the clients' eyes get wide when I do that; trust is locked
in. Then I solve the problems to the best of my ability, and given the
limit of the budget I'm working with---I make a "big, positive change" in
the way the piano sounds and feels.

May you feel joy every day in this New Year.......

David Andersen