Keytop Replacement

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:09:30 -0500

I used to do it this way. One thing you MUST be careful with though: If your
keys are even a little warped, you could end up with slanted keys. I prefer
to use the ratary planer in the press drill and support only the covered
part of the key since the warping usually occurs at the angled part of the
key.

Marcel Carey, RPT
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of PetersRPT@aol.com
  Sent: 27 fevrier, 2003 23:08
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: Keytop Replacement

  I have a very simple way to trim the wood off of the key prior to
installing plastic keytops.  My router is outfitted with a set of blocks,
which act as skis.  The tabletop is a very smooth and flat particle board
type of material.   Clamp the key to the table using a spring clamp, move
the router back and forth over the top of the key a couple of times, and
you're done.   Maybe it's just me, but I have had trouble with any method
that required moving the key.  I couldn't move the key smoothly enough to
consistently get a level surface. This way the key is held stationary, and
the router skims over the top.   I have only done one set this way to date,
but it seemed to work well.

  Roy Peters