Keytop Replacement

PetersRPT@aol.com PetersRPT@aol.com
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:07:52 EST

I have a very simple way to trim the wood off of the key prior to installing
plastic keytops.  My router is outfitted with a set of blocks, which act as
skis.  The tabletop is a very smooth and flat particle board type of
material.   Clamp the key to the table using a spring clamp, move the router
back and forth over the top of the key a couple of times, and you're done.
Maybe it's just me, but I have had trouble with any method that required
moving the key.  I couldn't move the key smoothly enough to consistently get
a level surface. This way the key is held stationary, and the router skims
over the top.   I have only done one set this way to date, but it seemed to
work well.

Roy Peters