Moving Damper Guide Rails

Brian Trout brian_trout@hotmail.com
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:32:34 -0600

Hi Ric,

You ask an interesting question, and I'd be curious as to what other techs
think of this, too...

You ask:
>Given all that.... do you "put" the Steinway name and decal back the way
>you
>found it ? Not that I object to basically totally re-designing the
>instrument.... but if you do.... how do you justify calling it a Steinway
>?....
>It's easily as much a Trout by then eh ?

Ya wanna know the truth?  Ok, and this is the truth.  I've never been given
the opportunity to add the kinds of improvements I'd like to in any Steinway
job I've done yet.  The dealer where I spent a fair number of years working
in his shop,...  he felt that it wasn't a Steinway anymore unless it was
Steinway all the way, parts, design, the whole shebang.  They went back to
New York for their restoration department to do the work.  And so far, the
only "rewhatevering" I've been 'priveleged' to do on a Steinway is to make
it like it was.  (How's that for brutal honesty?)

Now, on other "lesser" pianos, I've had a few wonderful experiences doing
the things I wasn't allowed to with the Steinways, "because it wouldn't be a
Steinway anymore."

It would still be a Steinway plate and Steinway rim.  Might even be a
Steinway action.  But I know that's not enough for some people.

To each his own.

I'll do what I'm paid to do, within limits.  But I ache a little inside when
I see potential for 'great' and can only make it 'mediocre', whether it's
because of money or a name brand or whatever.

Anyway, nice chatting with ya, Ric.  And sorry you can't make Dallas.  But I
understand it's more difficult to travel with all the political stuff going
on out there.

Take care,

Brian