Moving Damper Guide Rails

Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:02:28 +0100

Brian Trout wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Several things I differ with...
>
> 1) "Put it back the way you found it."
> Maybe that's the way I did my very first jobs, but it didn't take long to
> grow outta that one.  I feel like part of what I do in "rewhatevering" is to
> make it better than it was.   There are some jobs, however, especially with
> Steinway pianos, where the customer will insist that it be "put back the way
> it would have originally been built".  I'd really rather try to do better
> than that if I have anything to say about it.  Given my choice, I do not
> generally leave the bass bridge where it was or the scaling the same, leave
> the bridge notching for some angle other than 90 deg to the string, or
> compression crown a soundboard...

Given all that.... do you "put" the Steinway name and decal back the way you
found it ? Not that I object to basically totally re-designing the
instrument.... but if you do.... how do you justify calling it a Steinway ?....
It's easily as much a Trout by then eh ?

> 2) The general idea that "the piano makers of old knew much more than we
> know and we should respect their work by restoring as it was."  Although I
> will admit that some of the trial and error that took place did, on
> occasion, result in pleasant sounding pianos, I believe that we can do
> better than "hit and miss"... or "put it back as was."

No problem with this really.... tho I dont think we should take it for granted
that the ancient ones simply played a game of hit and miss. Theirs what a
different world... and we are not nearly as familiar with that as perhaps we'd
like to think.

> 3) The general idea that "strings of different length within the same unison
> add color and body to the tone."  Some may have believed that.  Some may
> still believe that.  I don't particularly like the effect that it has on the
> overall tone of the piano.  To my ear, it adds a harshness, a sharpness that
> is not pleasant.  I like smooth and mellow.  Others may disagree.  It's my
> preference, which I would not wish to impose on anyone.

 That,,,, was the jist of my last post. I dont like the effect either when it
comes down to it. But then I dont like tuning unisions ever so slightly out of
tune either. But I know several fine musicians that like that kind of sound... I
know several who like the sound of a certain amount of falseness in general...
false beats, wangyness... the works.. to them... this brings life to an
instrument. Thats cool... what ever turns you on... or what ?  This is another
reason why I think we need to be a bit carefull about what we define as
"better".

> Just a few random thoughts to throw out.  Don't know if that answers your
> question or not, Richard.  I'm sure if you're going to Dallas in July, we'll
> have lots of new input to soak up in Del's class!  :-)  I do like Del's
> class.  We get to think outta the box.

Wont be making Dallas, and Chicago last year was not a dooer either. The Home
Security Service (HSS) makes it waaaayyy to much a pain in the patootey for me
to travel to the US for the time being. And besides... I'd like to spend some
time and energy getting Del to do a class at one of our conventions. We had
great fun with David Stanwood and Roger Jolly this past October. Perhaps in 2004
I'll do another US trip and take in a convention. They are great fun and I enjoy
seeing you folks....even if it is for just a few hours in the rush.

> Take care,
>
> Brian

Likewise !
RicB