Moving Damper Guide Rails

Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:26:07 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Since changing what isn't the problem (agraffe alignment) to try and make
> the problem (strings buzzing on damper wires) go away didn't work, then the
> next best thing would be to directly address the problem. And that problem
> is that the guide rail isn't properly positioning the damper wires between
> the strings, as everyone has pointed out so far. The mechanical fix is to
> position the guide rail where it belongs, and re-regulate the dampers -
> yes, even to the dreaded extent of bending wires to align the heads to the
> strings and the wires to the blocks.

Which , I might add... is not nearly as difficult as its often made out to be.
The guide normally pops right off with a good solid whack or two, after
removing damper wires and relevant screws mind you. And is easily enough
refitted a mm or whatever over. Using a damper wire bender, available at your
nearest piano supply howse... a quick run through to bring all wires for the
section moved in the appropriate direction after refitting and rough regulating
goes quick enough. Unless you have an absolutely horribly abused set of damper
wires... this all should take.. what... 4 hours at most for the bass section ?

> Ron N

Cheers

RicB

--