Moving Damper Guide Rails

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:47:38 -0600

>So isn't anyone going to help Alan with his damper guide rail? I sure have
>no experience with that. I would be tempted to move it if that will solve
>the problem - most likely that will only fix a few notes and screw up
>others - but maybe not. Perhaps you will need to make a new one - don't
>think it would be all that difficult - might be the best way to a
>permanent fix. But then, I don't really have a clue! So someone else chime
>in here!!!
>
>Terry Farrell

Since changing what isn't the problem (agraffe alignment) to try and make
the problem (strings buzzing on damper wires) go away didn't work, then the
next best thing would be to directly address the problem. And that problem
is that the guide rail isn't properly positioning the damper wires between
the strings, as everyone has pointed out so far. The mechanical fix is to
position the guide rail where it belongs, and re-regulate the dampers -
yes, even to the dreaded extent of bending wires to align the heads to the
strings and the wires to the blocks. This much, everyone also knows. I sure
don't know of a magic prestidampertation trick that makes the problem go
away without actually doing the work, and if anyone else did, it would
likely have been posted by now. That's the mechanical part of the fix. The
political part is the hard 85%, under the conditions described, but far
less the tech's problem than is the mechanical part. From the tech's
perspective, it costs this much to fix, and when someone will agree to pay
for it, call me and we'll get started.

So what's the question?

Ron N