Moving Damper Guide Rails

Brian Trout brian_trout@hotmail.com
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:31:22 -0600

Well...  I hate to tell you this, but...

The idea of unequal speaking lengths has been around a lot longer than
Pramberger.

Terry F., Roger J. and I (to name a few) were in the same class at Brandon
University, I think it was where Andre Bolduc was installing a new
soundboard in a '20s era Steinway 'O', I believe.  He mentioned that in the
upper section (I don't remember about the killer octave section) that the
notches were such that the string lengths were unequal.  It was my opinion
that he was saying that the unequal length of the strings somehow added to
the body of tone in such a way as to give it a fuller sound.

Yes, it was intentional, and from what I remember, he encouraged us to put
it back the way we found it.

I don't know if he still is of the same opinions.  I'll have to admit, I
differ in my beliefs.

That's the earliest I know about unequal string lengths on purpose.  I
wouldn't be suprised by someone like Jonas Chickering having had a round
with the idea long before.

Best wishes,

Brian T.