Tuning pin choice

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:17:22 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 26, 2003 5:34 AM
Subject: Re: Tuning pin choice

> But then I could be wrong.
>
> Case (as it were) in point: You know how grands wobble, sometimes
> alarmingly,  when you're tuning them. Each grand, depending on it's mass
> and leg stiffness, has it's own wobble impedance and resonance (with that
> of the propped lid being somewhat different from the rest of the piano).
As
> tuners, we (at least I ) time our lurches on the tuning lever to minimize,
> rather than reinforce, these wobble excursions. If we "tuned" our moves to
> the resonant frequency of the wobble, we could quite likely bring a piano
> to it's (and our) knees without breaking a sweat. To assess the
> contribution of the dynamic balance of the tuning pins to this system
would
> require extensive lab facilities, an outrageously large grant, and more
> than a few cases of a good wheat beer.

Finally, I understand the inherent advantage of the (lightweight) Select
Hardwood Rim!

As you point out, each piano will have its own wobble resonance, or
frequency. Although inherently complex, for the purposes of this
investigation this motion can be considered to resemble that of large
pendulum, having a fixed direction, rate of acceleration and range of
motion. Now, although the actual range of motion seen at the tuning pin will
be small, so is the typical twisting motion of the tuning pin required to
bring the average string into proper tune. The astute tuner should be able
to take advantage of this motion.

Assuming that the Dynamic Balance of the tuning pins and the Wobble
Resonance are in synchronicity, by timing his/her motions appropriately, the
Astute Tuner should be able to start at one end of the piano and, once
getting the thing in motion and by synchronizing his/her motion with that of
the piano as he/she moves rapidly from pin to pin, keep the tuning hammer
angle relatively stationary letting the pendulum motion of the piano do the
actual work of tuning. Since this technique will take away much of the
physical stress of tuning, the Pendulous Tuner might should be able to
increase his/her daily output. How much of an increase might be possible is
dependent entirely on the structural characteristics of the piano.

And here we finally see the true value of the Select Hardwood Rim. Since
they are considerably lighter than the old-fashioned Real Hardwood Rims,
their Wobble Frequency will be inherently higher than of the piano having an
old-fashioned Unselect Hardwood Rim. Hence, the astute Pendulous Tuner, by
timing his or her tuning motions to coincide with that of the higher Wobble
Frequency of the Select Hardwood Piano will be able to get through the job
in far less time and will have exerted far less energy in the process.
Hence, the more Select the Select Hardwood is the higher the Tuning Wobble
Rate and the faster the Astute Pendulous Tuner can tune. I can already
imagine the Pendulous Tuner of the future pre-qualifying their list of
clients, those possessing old-fashioned pianos such as Steinway's or Knabe's
(the real ones--not the fakes) paying double or triple to pay for their
slower Wobble Time and, hence, the added tuning time. I can already hear it,
"No, Ma'am, I don't charge extra for a pitch raise, but would you happen to
know the Wobble Time of your piano and is it synchronous with the Dynamic
Balance of your tuning pins?"

Gosh, I just knew this would all come together somehow.

Del