Soundboard Size Perspective

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:08:46 -0800

I tried a Fandrich (Klima) upright at the CA state convention last year
('02).  I loved the action, but wasn't all that impressed with the tone.
The middle didn't have rich enough high harmonics for my taste, and the
bass was, in my opinion (but my opinion may not be reality), leaning
toward dead.

I'd like to try out a 50" Astin-Weight sometime....

----- Original message -----
From: "Charles Neuman" <piano@charlesneuman.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:59:36 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Subject: Re: Soundboard Size Perspective

Dave Stahl wrote...
> Speaking of nice uprights... I had the chance to check out a Fandrich
> and Sons upright.... If you haven't seen one of these uprights, check
> one out if you get the chance; it will definitely make you wonder why
> people by cheapo grands.

I tried one out at the Chicago Convention. It was amazing. I wish I could
play one in a quieter environment. I hope they eventually get one on the
East Coast somewhere where people can try it out.

What Astin-Weight does is have customers in various locations who are
willing to show their piano to perspective buyers. That's a pretty good
system.

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island