"....how big a hole did your plug cutter cut...?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:17:16 -0800

Terry et al,
My 1/2" Plug Cutter has a diameter of .8975", (Slightly over 7/8"). My 3/4"
Plug Cutter has a diameter of 1.1825". You do the math for area. <G> It
usually takes a full day to cut a set of plugs. Of course there are rejects
and the time to sharpen the derned thing! (That in itself is no easy feat!)
The Glue used in pinblocks dulls the plug cutters rapidly, so I have two of
each size. I'm sharpening while my helper cuts plugs! On any "standard" type
pinblock I NEVER Plug. It's just too time consuming. However, most of the
pianos I do, have something weird, so I do a lot of Plugging! <G> As I keep
track of "time", (hence, the RLG), It takes almost twice as long to do plugs
as it takes to cut/fit/drill a new pinblock, ("standard" vs Plugs). The
savings in material is minimal at best.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)