Yamaha Disclavier questions

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 05:21:18 -0800 (PST)

Thank you, Roger
     For clearing this up. The local Yamaha sales rep
most definitely stood before me and declared that
Disclavier units come in 3 "grades" : 1) Virtually no
dynamics, like a paper roll foot pumped player with a
novice at the controls. 2) Better dynamics
3) Excellent dynamics ( for serious musicians) and
that he doesn't bother revealing the availability of
the top-notch system to those who look like they can't
afford it/don't need it.
     I will grill him on this again.
     So, then, what is the key contact arrangement in
a Disclavier? Is it more substantial than PianoDisc's
little wire and rubber cap arrangement? I know from
having restored many Ampico grands that an adjustable
button to take up lost motion between the player unit
and key is essential for even playing at low volumes.
And I have always been disappointed at electronic
reproducers' lack of "ZUMPH!" ( for lack of a better
word ) when compared to a properly restored pneumatic
system ( though they ARE vastly more convenient!!!
     Thump