Yamaha, oh Yamaha.................

Dave Smith dsmith941@hotmail.com
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 04:48:45 -0500

>     As for the reproducing system: this salesperson
> told me specifically that some Disclkaviers have
> better dynamic capabilities than others. Is this so?
>      Respectfully,
>      Gordon

It is my understanding that G series Disklaviers, C1's and C2's have
disklavier systems with key sensors only.  C3's and up have also hammer
sensors.  Thus a bit more faithful reproduction in the larger models,
although I don't believe the dynamic range is greater due to the disklavier
system in the larger ones (the piano itself is a different story, as Roger
pointed out).   There is also a PRO disklavier system, with key and hammer
sensors, and with an entirely different capability in terms of dynamic
range, reproduction of subleties, and so on.  The PRO system is much more
expensive and available only on the largest pianos.

I have a smaller disklavier myself, with the hammer sensors only.  When it
was purchased, I was made aware of the different features and capabilities
of the different disklavier systems, as part of a discussion on pricing.  I
chose the smaller piano and disklavier system because of price and space in
our home.  I could not tell much difference in reproduction capability
between this system and the one with key AND hammer sensors.  Some more
critical listeners probably can.  Chose the C series piano rather than the
G, simply because the piano sounded so much better to me.

At a recent Disklavier Technician Service Seminar I attended at Yamaha, we
were able to listen to the PRO model vs the regular disklavier system.
Quite a bit of difference there in terms of nuance of reproduction and the
PRO did play more softly (thus better dynamic range) than the other models.
There don't seem to be many PRO models out there, though, probably due to
the increased price.

So I guess I am agreeing with both Gordon and Roger.    There are three
different flavors of disklavier systems for grands.  But except for the
really high end exception of the PRO system, the differences might be
considered more features than dynamic capability enhancements.

The preceeding has been the personal opinion of a pretty new piano
technician, but I believe it is accurate.  I mean, fairly new technician,
not pretty new.  I am not particularily pretty.

Dave Smith
SW FL