Ideal speaking length of A-0

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 23:49:21 -0800 (PST)

> > > Another tech and I were discussing this and he
> was of the opinion that it
> > is
> > > desirable to have the longest speaking length
> possible.
> >
> > And most of the early piano designers would have
> agreed with him. And it is
> > one of the reasons why the low bass in most small
> pianos sounds so bad.

 I once saw one of the first Wurtilizer spinets ever
made- late 30's- in immaculate, one owner condition,
and was AMAZED at how rich the bass was!!! But it had
some sort of arrangement on the bass bridge for back
length and to move the transmission closer to the
board's center and spread it out, that I think  is
missing on later production. I can only imagine how
this helps a larger piano!
     Thump