What is a Boston? <was Boston and Yamaha opinions wanted>

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 18:42:05 EST

jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca writes:

> Thank you Wim.
> I can't see not keeping strings as a problem.
> Case parts, maybe. I was forgetting, you are in a school situation,
> where vandalism, may be a problem.
> Over the years, nothing comes to mind, as having to replace a case
> part, on a customers piano.
> Regards,
> John M. Ross

The case parts were not for school. This happened about 15 years ago, when I
bought studio that fell off a truck. I ordered several case parts from
Yamaha, which not only took 6 months to arrive, but cost at least 5 times
more than comparable parts from American piano companies. The reason they
cost so much, and it took so long, is because even though the piano was only
3 years old, they had changed the models, and didn't have that model in
production any more. They had to pull the specs out of archives, and special
make the parts.

The same thing happened on a set of bass string, on a piano that only 6
months old. Again, they changed the scale, and had to special order the
strings.

I've heard this scenario numerous times over the years. That is why II said,
It's one thing to make some improvements to the piano, but another to
completely change the design and scaling, so many times that replacements
parts are not available any more.

Wim