Rebuilding Steinways vs Asians

Sat, 22 Feb 2003 19:14:26 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 22, 2003 5:56 PM
Subject: Rebuilding Steinways vs Asians

> No I did not make the quote that the inner rim wood makes it less
desirable
> to rebuild Asian Pianos. I think I would attribute that sentiment to Del,
> who likes to grouse about the "Select Hardwood".

Yes, I have fussed about the prospect. We've now done several pianos having
Select Hardwood rims and have found it takes some different procedures. In
some the wood is so soft--the spruce is actually much harder and more
durable--it becomes difficult to remove the soundboard without damaging the
rim extensively. It also requires a different approach to the soundboard
design since you can't depend on the rim to be much of an acoustical
reflector.

Del