Liberace & Las Vegas Chapter

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 11:03:26 -0800

Hello all,

Last night we had a most unusual chapter meeting.  By special =
arrangement via David Chadwick, RPT, we had our chapter meeting at the =
Liberace Museum here in Las Vegas.  During this after hours event the =
barriers around the pianos were removed, and we as technicians were =
given the opportunity to touch and to play these unique pianos.

The Liberace Museum is home to many special instruments.  Not only was =
he an extravagant pianist-showman, but he was also a collector of rare =
pianos.  Here is a partial list of some of the pianos Liberace =
collected:

Rosewood Steinway Square, #6932 built 1863
Pretty rough shape with several broken dampers.  The case appears clean =
and in good shape.  Typical massive decorative legs but no spectacular =
carvings to speak of.

Kuhn & Ridgeway Harp Piano (no serial number), estimated 1857.
This is the vertical type with an exposed harp-like frame standing up.  =
Not playable but seemed to be in decent museum-quality shape for =
display.  No real damage that I noticed.  Very nice case.

Upright mirrored Nickelodeon, (no name or serial listed, says 1945 but =
unlikely, probably 1920s.)
Looks cool but nothing really spectacular here.  Mostly valuable simply =
because it was his.  Covered in tiny mirror squares, this is obviously =
an old pumper player that has had an "O" roll spool frame added in the =
bottom and a glockenspiel added at the top. Documentation suggests =
modifications made in the 1970s.

Pleyel art case grand, #96421, estimated 1885.
The entire case is decorated in original hand painted art work and is in =
decent display condition.  Very elegant Rococo gold leaf French =
countryside motif.  Apparently this piano was used in the 1945 movie "A =
Song to Remember" about the life of Chopin.  This piano inspired him in =
using what would become his trade mark candelabra.

Broadwood, London #103 estimated 1788.
By far the most valuable in the collection.  Certainly one of the oldest =
and rarest in the United States.  A very nice although relatively simple =
case, but in relatively decent museum quality condition.  The case =
reflects the typical and unavoidable "cheek bend" syndrome found on most =
pianos from this era caused by the tension warping the case.  This was =
one of the more special moments in our tour.  The action was removed and =
we were given to opportunity to study it first hand.  The hammers are =
very small and made entirely by layers of leather.  The let off is very =
simple with a soft back check.  The piano was unplayable in it's current =
condition.

Bosendorfer  #222, estimated 1830
Apparently this piano was owned by exiled Serbian Prince Michael =
Obrenovic III in Vienna.  Liszt, Schumann, and Brahms all reportedly =
played this piano. The piano was eventually relocated to Serbia with =
it's owner until his assassination in 1860.  It was then given to his =
Fiance'.

Chickering #146409-661R, with Ampico reproducer player=20
Very little information was given about this one other than it being =
owned by Liberace.  The massive case is about as elaborate as it gets =
with detailed carvings everywhere.  The player appears to be a model A.  =
Rather than the typical three "double legs" as found on most player =
grands, this piano has five independent heavily carved legs.  Two at the =
front, two on each side at the mid point, and one at the tail.  One of =
the most elegant player grands I have ever seen.

Chickering #2956??,  estimated 1920s, not specified with apparent =
missing serial numbers.
A very nice case, this piano was previously owned by George Gershwin who =
apparently used it for much of his composing when he lived in New York.

Baldwin #SF216787, 1976
Reportedly one of Liberace's favorites, this piano is covered with =
thousands of rhinestones made specifically to match his famous costumes =
and his rhinestone covered car.  He played this one extensively, and it =
was used during his last performance along with his famous mirrored =
piano before he died.  The appearance is mind boggling in the way the =
light reflects off of it in rainbow colors.  During our visit we were =
each given the opportunity to play this piano.

Coquet  #1262, estimated 1830
Built in Paris this is an early upright piano with brass and tortoise =
shell inlaid into a very French style case.  The piano features two =
double brass candelabras at each side of the music rack.  Not sure about =
the history of this piano other than the fact that Liberace owned it.

Steinway  #95852, estimated 1900.
>From what I understand this was the only Steinway Liberace owned since =
he was a Baldwin artist.  It originally had a unique white finish which =
Liberace later commissioned to have completely refinished in royal blue =
and gold to match one of his famous costumes.  There are carvings around =
and on the lid depicting a musical motif.  Liberace used this piano in a =
show at the Las Vegas Hilton on a rotating stage and later became known =
as the "Dancing Waters" piano after the song he used to play using it.

Collard & Collard  (No serial number, estimated 1850)
A very elaborate upright piano, the type for which Collard & Collard =
were well known.  There are over fifty types of veneers used in the =
cabinetry as well as brass.  Not sure about the history of this one.

Quante  #1030, estimated about 1850.
This upright piano was once located in an upper class saloon in San =
Francisco.  It was present during the famous 1906 earthquake during =
which it suffered only a warped damage on the top of its lid.  A block =
is specially fitted on the left side of the keyboard for the pianist to =
set his drink and a tip jar.  Never seen this before.

Baldwin  #SD213557, 1976.
This was his famous mirrored piano built specifically for Liberace.  =
There are actually two of these built.  The other mirror piano is =
located at the Smithsonian in Washington DC.  Those who attended the =
Arlington PTG convention may recall seeing this at the Piano 300 =
exhibit.  Liberace played these extensively.  It was used in his last =
performance at Radio City Music Hall in 1986.  Only Liberace could get =
away with playing a piano like this in public!!

Butterfly Miniature, (no serial), estimated 1930
A favorite novelty miniature grand piano, these are favorite =
collectibles.  I recall mention that several piano techs have one of =
these.  No history was given on this piano.

Pianette, (no serial number), date stamped on soundboard indicates 1930
This is a most unusual miniature grand.  I have never seen one of these. =
 It is Japanese with "Nippon Gakki" on the fall board.  It has a 3/4 =
plate, badly out of tune and regulation, so I was unable to determine =
it's potential.  The keyboard is about ten inches higher than the rest =
of the piano, I am assuming there must be some kind of drop sticker =
arrangement from the keys to the action.

Barrel Piano, (no maker indicated, obviously Italian.  Estimated 1900 =
but I suspect earlier, perhaps 1880s)
Typical barrel piano arrangement for mounting on a cart and a hand crank =
on the right side.  No indication what type of barrel or how many tunes =
in it.  There are screens bearing art work one the front.  Obviously not =
the original screens, it looks like someone scanned some pictures and =
then printed them on a computer printer using iron-on paper and then =
applied it to new material.  A pretty good idea when you think about it =
except they did a pretty poor job of it.  The instruments receive =
minimal preservation attention mostly by David Chadwick, RPT.  The =
mirror and the rhinestone pianos receive more attention since they are =
still played on special occasions.  Brian Paco Alvares, the museum's =
curator, was an excellent host and spent a lot of time with us.  Chapter =
members as a group had a photo session with the rhinestone piano.

There are many other pianos that Liberace owned throughout his life.  A =
few are on loan in other collections, some are in private collections.  =
The mirrored piano in the Smithsonian is owned by Baldwin AKA Gibbon.  =
There are a substantial number pianos and artifacts that have been lost =
over the years for a variety of reasons.  The museum is now in process =
of seeking out these lost items in an effort to reassemble the entire =
collection.  If you are aware of any pianos that were once owned by =
Liberace please let me know and I will pass on the details to the museum =
so that they can investigate.

You can visit the Liberace web sight at:
http://www.flatwaremedia.com/liberace/index.cfm

Rob Goodale, RPT
Chapter President
Las Vegas, NV