Comments from 'Down Under'

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:10:27 -0700

Welcome to the list David :)

Jonathan Finger RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of David Lawson
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 2:55 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Comments from 'Down Under'

Hi everyone. I have just logged on to your web site and registered. I am
a piano tuner of over 47 years from Australia. I trained at a then
large  music house in Melbourne, Allan Music,  and then at Steinways in
London.
I would like to make comment on the Boston discussion. Common sense
tells me that if I were making a piano with my name on it, and another
with another company's name upon it, who are competitors, I would ensure
that MY product was just a little better than the other. Perhaps I am a
little naive, however I too have tuned Bostons, and of course all the
Kawai range, and frankly there is just no comparison. Kawai have finesse
and Boston are brash and brittle.
Is there anyone out there willing to make comment on the longevity of
Yamaha grands? It may be our weather here, but we seem to have to re-
string and re-hammer anything which is ten years or older if it has done
a bit of work. On the other hand, this does not seem to be the case with
Kawai.
I look forward to your comments, and indeed being able to log in with
you regularly all over there.
Best wishes, David Lawson.