Steinway Bashing........

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:56:26 -0800

Most who know me, know that I don't sing the praises of S&S, as a
technician. However, as a long time musician, I do. The one thing that
Steinway can do, that no other can, IMHO, is "cut through the mix"! In the
words of musicians of another era: It has "Balls"! (I hope I'm not offending
anyone with this term. None intended. <G>)
Yes, I wish they would up-grade the way they make soundboards. Yes, I wish
they'd get their hammers so they produce the "sound" of The Steinway and
quit trying to compete with the clanky hammers of other manufacturers. Yes,
I wish they'd upgrade their quality control. Yes, I wish they'd offer some
options in case designs, etc. Yes, I wish they'd put the Sostenuto mecanism
where it belongs.
BUT, the fact remains, the Steinway gots "Balls"! (and for the most part,
that's a good thing!)
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)