Used Yamahas

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:22:26 -0500

A dealer? My guess is he sold them!

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Goodale" <rrg@unlv.edu>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 9:50 PM
Subject: Re: Used Yamahas

I imagine the Florida environment would be more forgiving for gray market pianos with humidity levels closer to the Japanese climate.  I would not recommend them under any circumstances anywhere else though.  I'm sure there are many on this list who can tell tales.  The list archives are full of stories.  A dealer here got a couple about two years ago.  In the desert climate they self destructed on the showroom floor as you watched!  With in a week the board had more cracks than you could count and with in two weeks some were 1/8" wide or better.  I don't know what they did with them, they weren't sellable.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV
  I had a client that just recently sold a VERY NICE 1985 Yamy C3 for $9,000 - she advertised a couple times and that was the highest bid. I just inspected three Yamy C5s about 20 years old (grey market) for a guy in NY. OK shape. Looked good. Flat boards & minimal to no downbearing in killer octave areas. Asking $9,000.

  I helped my son's piano teacher buy a used grey market 1983 G5 about a year ago. She paid $7,500 for it. The piano is virtually indistinguishable from new. Very, very nice piano. No defects. Good board, no killer octave, she loves the action, looks like new, etc.

  Seems to me the prices you are looking at may be a bit steep.

  Terry Farrell
  Tampa, Florida