Hard pin setting was( Setting them pins!)

Benny L. Tucker precisionpiano@alltel.net
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:41:40 -0500

To clarify what I meant by hard pin setting. What I'm trying to describe =
about my technique is this. After getting the pin in the correct =
position, with the pitch "sharp", I like to flex the pin "not =
flagpoling", downpitch to the perfect unison.
I have always felt that the resistance felt during this downpitch flex =
should be moderate. In other words, just a little more pushing down and =
the whole pin will turn, but it takes great effort to pull the pin back =
up-pitch.
    My thinking is that I don't want the string to be able to pull the =
pin down any further, because I have already pounded it in with moderate =
flex downpitch.
    I was just wondering if I might be "flexing" the pin downpitch too =
much, and therefore the pin "unwinds" after I leave and pulls the pitch =
sharp. I am now trying to set the pins with a lot less "flex", like at =
the beginning of resistance.
Does this make sense? Anyhow, I appreciate all your advice!!

Thanks.
   =20
Benny L. Tucker
Precision Piano Tuning & Repair