Boston and Yamaha opinions wanted

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:53:32 -0700

    Clyde I'm on the staff of the dealership here in Phoenix. I say =
"the" dealership because we carry, Steinway, Baldwin, Yamaha, Kawai, =
Charles Walter, and all the Baldwin Samicks like Wurlitzer, Chickering, =
etc.=20
    So I get to work on a lot of Yamaha's and Bostons. If I were you, I =
would go for either the Yamaha's or a nice Kawai RX-3 or 5. The Boston =
is a nice piano, but when Steinway starts telling Kawai how to make a =
piano, then you get a piano designed by committee, if you know what I =
mean. The Boston is a fine piano, but I think that part of the price is =
the Steinway "mystic". (sic?)
    I have to admit to a certain fondness for the Yamaha C5, and perhaps =
someone can answer a question I have. The C5 seems to have more =
fundamental in the bass, giving a tone that I like a lot. This is the =
smallest piano to have the longer "concert" action in it, and I think =
the tone may be due to the hammers in the bass section striking the =
strings further out on the string, say, around the 9th partial. Can =
anyone refute or confirm this? =20
    Kevin E. Ramsey
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 4:33 PM
  Subject: Boston and Yamaha opinions wanted

  Friends,

  For those of you qualified to make comparisons on the pianos I am =
about
  to identify:

  A local school is buying a new grand piano.  The music department =
chair
  is weighing the choice of either a Boston GP-193 or a Yamaha C3 or C5.
  For any of you who know these pianos and can give an unbiased opinion,
  which would you recommend?  Are there any strong or weak points of
  either model that we should consider?

  You may want to respond privately.  I have never tuned or worked on a
  Boston, so I'm not very well equipped to help her make the choice on
  this without some input.

  Regards,
  Clyde