How weather affects pianos

Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:57:27 -0600

Ron,

one more thing;

At 11:32 2/19/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>>That's why I ALWAYS record temp/humidity at the time of the tuning.
>
>Exactly, and why I leave a the record in the piano, so the customer and I
>can discover it TOGETHER if I have to go back. Actually, I leave two
>records in the piano. A business card on the plate under the music desk in
>a grand, or under the lid of a vertical, and a stealth record on a piece
>of tape or sticker on either the underside of the music desk, or back side
>of the front board where it won't be noticed should the card with the
>humidity documentation mysteriously evaporate between the tuning and the
>complaint. It's also on the invoice. This doesn't come up often, since I
>spend a lot of time discussing humidity changes and their effects with
>customers. But when it does, I'm covered.
>
>Ron N

...and.... if all paper has mysteriously disappeared - as an RCT user, I
have along my laptop containing their service records.

I can show them not only past temperature and humidity readings, but what
pitch A4 was when I started the tuning.

Conrad Hoffsommer PTG RPT, MPT, CCT
Decorah, IA

Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems