How weather affects pianos

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:13:02 -0800 (PST)

I'm quite certain that, as humidity rises, wood
creates a duller "thud" as opposed to a nice, clear
knock. But in a piano this would be hard to quantify
as the hammers also get softer with humidity, and the
board gains crown, increasing bearing.
     But I find that, overall, pianos sound better
with lower humidity. Right about the recommended 42%.
IMHO.
     Thump