Tuning Positions

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:07:18 -0800

I am curious about hearing what various positions people use for tuning. =
I don't recall this topic being discussed here before.  In other words =
assuming that you are sitting at the piano how do you sit, and where is =
your arm, and how do you hold the hammer?
My tuning profile:

GRANDS:

1. SITTING:
I sit at the piano slightly to the left of square.

2. ARM:
My arm is slightly dropped, sometimes even resting on the stretcher =
depending on the position of the pins.

3. GRIP:
I hold the hammer with about a half inch of the handle extending past my =
hand.

4. HANDLE POSITION:
In general I place the handle between 1:00 and 3:00 on the pin.  More =
toward 12:00 and 2:00 in the bass.

5.  WHACKIN' HAND:
Elbow low, wrist high, 2nd and 3rd fingers

6.  HIGH TREBLE:
I move the bench around the corner and sit on the end facing the treble =
strings from the side.  In most cases I reach my right hand around the =
lid prop, (depending on the piano).  Hammer position mostly as above.

UPRIGHTS:

1. SITTING:
Slightly right of square.

2.  ARM:
Elbow low at about 4:00 to 5:00.

3.  GRIP:
About a half inch of the handle extending past my hand but sometimes =
completely over the end of the handle.

4.  HANDLE POSITION:
Between 12:00 and 2:00.

5.  WHACKIN' HAND:
Elbow mostly level and back, 2nd and 3rd fingers

6.  HIGH TREBLE:
Same as above but with elbow raised

Now your turn.  You can clear my answers from this form and fill in =
yours.  Don't forget to remove all the little ">" thingys before =
resending.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV