Red Devil 6-in-1 (was For Sale)

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:14:30 -0600

Used like a chisel (bevel down so it doesn't gouge) it is great for removing
old felts (damper, hammer rest, key end rest, etc.) and then held vertically
for scraping off the remnants. Also for any scraping, glue-trimming,
separating things, etc.

Thin enough to use--carefully--to help remove "stuck" or really-tight
keyslips (NOT in a new Steinway, please).

Perect tool for removing old ivory or plastic key tops -- again, bevel down
on the wood.

To remove key fronts, after steaming with rag & iron, I clamp the keystick
down on it's bottom or side then use the 6-in-1 with a light hammer--bevel
side to the wood again--and tap it down. Most come off clean.

Seems like I'm grabbing this tool several times a week for prying, cleaning,
and "stuff". The point is handy sometimes. Oh, yeah, it has some uses in
house-painting, too!

Try it, you'll like it.

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Dave Davis
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 9:14 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: For Sale

Hi Alan,
I'm not a buyer (don't hang up!), but this reminded me
that some time back you mentioned a tool you use
almost daily, a Red Devil 6-in-1 tool.  I saw one at
the hardware the other day (didn't buy it), but am
wondering if you would share a list of things it comes
in handy for.  I probably am carrying 6 tools in my
kit that it would replace.

Dave Davis
Renton, WA