The Ultimate Pinblock?

Wed, 19 Feb 2003 07:46:23 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "gordon stelter" <lclgcnp@yahoo.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 19, 2003 5:26 AM
Subject: Re: The Ultimate Pinblock?

>   I have never had trouble using my 2 lb. sledge, but
> I cut a few inches off the handle and hold it close to
> the head for better control. Please explain why this
> air hammer is better.

Lots and lots of little whacks instead of a few really big whacks. It's
easier on the pinblock -- no real need to prop it up from underneath (at
least with new blocks), though we do out of habit and a need for insurance.
It has the potential, at least, for driving the pin straighter placing less
side load on the top of the hole. All of which ends up giving a more uniform
pin feel. It's faster -- took probably an hour off of my stringing time.
And, last -- but at my age, certainly not least -- it's a whole lot easier
on my arm.

I've been using one since the mid-1970s -- the same one, it's getting a bit
long in the tooth but it keeps on plugging -- I'll never go back. By now I'm
too set in my ways to learn a new style of stringing anyway. The only
downside is their noise. I wear both ear plugs and ear muffs when I'm using
the thing.

Del