What are your favorite methods/tools for keybutton installation?

Ken Jankura kenrpt@earthlink.net
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:22:59 -0500

I've tried my own method a few times and will use it again, as it seems
quick and easy. I welcome any comments or improvements.
I have a board (8x10) with graph paper lines drawn on it, and in the center,
a balance rail pin (angled as if on the rail). The lines are for visually
aligning the key and the strip of key buttons correctly perpendicular to
each other.
You can add 'hold down' clamps to keep the key flat to the board when
gluing, if you wish.
I use the CA/woodglue method.
Put the key on the pin on the jig, and align the side of the front of the
key with a grid line.
Put a little CA glue on the key and wood glue on the button (still in a
strip), and press firmly together, sighting the grid lines true, and keeping
the button centered more or less on the pin.
The CA grabs within seconds, and I remove it from the jig and put a spring
clamp on and set it aside.
Continue to do this with all the strips of key buttons, one key per strip.
After I have finished gluing and clamping all eight or nine keys (five to
ten minutes), I remove the clamp and flush trim each key on the bandsaw.
Pretty up the sides with sandpaper if you wish (five minutes or so).  I have
not had the bandsaw pull off any buttons. The lead time lets the CA really
hold, I presume.
I'm ready for the next set of eight or nine.
The job seems to move very quickly, this way,
You will be required to straighten some key pins upon reinstallation to
square the keys, especially if there were a lot of keys that had buttons
that were visibly off center originally.
Ken Jankura RPT
Fayetteville, PA