Fw: Wood

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:14:09 -0500

I was expecting maybe at least Don might respond to this post I made a couple days ago. I see Don is back. What is your read on this?

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2003 9:11 AM
Subject: Re: Wood

Well, that is more-or-less what I did Del. My aim was to calibrate a panel-type MC gauge, so RH and MC stability were my aims, not necessarily measuring rate of change. But I do have some data that might shed some light on this subject.

I took 2 to 6 blocks of wood (approx. 8 mm x 100 mm x 100 mm - my 0.01 scale only goes up to 100 grams, so I needed to stay with block of less than that - they were all between 50 and 95 grams) - mostly spruce, but some mahogany and hard maple (all pretty much reacted the same except the maple was slower to change MC overall). I placed blocks in my hot box and varied RH and left it at different levels for several days to be sure wood MC had stabilized. I would weigh blocks every day. Experiments ran (I actually did several) up to 34 days. If anyone wants the raw data, I can send it to you. Some approximations follow (I looked for a near-equilibrium conditions, a rise or fall of RH, and then near-equilibrium conditions again):

RH                DAYS   =    MC
20% drop      2.5            2.7% drop
14% rise        5.0            1.3% rise
12% drop       5.0            1.3% drop
 9% rise          4.0            1.0% rise

These data represent fairly stable endpoint conditions (both hot box RH and MC, except for the 20% drop, the wood had not stabilized before the hot box RH went back up a bit, but MC did in fact drop 2.7% in 2.5 days, it had simply not yet reached equilibrium).

>From these data, it looks to me like wood looses moisture as easily as it gains it.

Terry Farrell