The Mother of all Bellyrails

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:59:39 -0800 (GMT)

>I've been at this rewhatevering business since early in the 1960s. About
>the time I figure I must have seen most everything, someone like
>Chickering comes along with this:
>
>Yes, that gold stuff between the agraffe line and the bridges is plate!
>It's all part of a continuous, one-piece casting. And around the
bellyrail
>the casting extends down probably another 75 mm the full width of the
>bellyrail........
>Del

Del,

Sorry for the slow response on this.  A few months back I saw a Steck grand that had a similar construction.  An integral cast flange on the plate that was supporting the bellyrail.  Seemed a good idea to me.  I don't recall that this additional structure was as massive as on this Chickering.  I don't think it extended out as far over the soundboard.  I also don't recall how far the flange extended down onto the bellyrail.  I would guess the piano was about an 1890 vintage.  The action was out so I didn't get to
hear it.  It was at a friend's shop in LA.  I think it's still there.  I should be down there in 2 or 3 weeks.  I'll try to take some pictures.

I like the look of this piano; the case shape as others mentioned, but also the plate casting with lots of small holes rather than a few large holes.

Phil F

Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave - 215